Everything You Need to Know About the Eyelash Growth Cycle

It's normal for a few eyelashes to fall out every day since each individual eyelash is in its own phase of the cycle. It usually takes 4 to 8 weeks to completely replace an eyelash. The cataloging phase, also known as the transition phase, lasts between 14 and 21 days. During this time, the eyelashes reach their full length and maximum strength.

The upper eyelid is usually framed by 90 to 150 eyelashes, while the lower eyelid has up to 80 eyelashes. Growing at a rate of about 0.15 mm per day, eyelashes can grow up to 9 mm in length and can take about two months to regenerate when removed. Eyelashes are also the most pigmented of all human hair, so they don't usually turn gray. After the growth phase comes the catagen phase, also known as the transition phase. This phase lasts about 14-21 days.

Within this cycle, the follicle will begin to shrink, causing the eyelashes to detach and stop actively growing. If a Catagen tab is torn off at the end of this phase, it will not cause any damage to the follicle. However, since the follicle still needs to complete its full cycle through all three phases, it will take time for a new eyelash to appear. If done repeatedly, it is quite possible to hinder the growth of those eyelashes and permanently ruin the follicle. Your lashes will remain in this transitional phase for approximately 2 to 3 weeks before moving on to the final phase of the eyelash growth cycle.

Since each individual eyelash is in its own phase of the growth cycle, it's normal for some eyelashes to fall out most days. Your natural lashes use a blood supply to fuel their active growth during this stage of the eyelash growth cycle. Its mode of action is to prolong the anogenous phase of the eyelash lifecycle, resulting in an increase in the length, thickness and pigmentation of the eyelashes. Although 35 to 40% of eyelashes may be in the growth phase (which the serum prolongs), the other 60% need time to complete the cycle before returning to the growth phase. If all of your lashes were in the growth phase at the same time, then they would all be on their way to falling out at the same time. But don't worry, like everything on earth, alive or not, eyelashes go through a natural cycle of fall and growth.

Once they reach their designated length, they stop growing, the hair follicle shrinks and they move on to this transitional phase. Since this is the end of the growth cycle, a new eyelash will start to grow in its place and eventually expel the telogen eyelash. I hope you've learned more about the eyelash growth cycle and the importance of maintaining them. They may wake up in the morning and have one or two eyelash extensions shed out, but remember that eyelashes are like any other hair on their body, replacing themselves as they continuously move through a natural growth cycle.

Marlene Manwaring
Marlene Manwaring

Infuriatingly humble twitter geek. Freelance internet practitioner. Hipster-friendly food maven. Subtly charming beer buff. Award-winning zombie geek.